[clug-talk] Looking for input on Internet application usage.

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Wed May 3 13:27:11 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 11:18 am, Mark Carlson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm going to be doing the presentation at LinuxFest about Internet
> usage and was wondering what sort of apps you guys use on a regular
> basis (and maybe a sentence as to why you like using it instead of
> something else/what you use it for specifically.)
>
> Some examples would be:
> - I use FireFox for my web browser because I like <insert name here>
> extension. - I use Kontact because I like the way the calendar is used.
> - Gaim is teh awesome because it now allows me to have "buddy icons,"
> also it has a built-in speel cheker.
>
> Thank you for your input,
>
> Mark Carlson

amaroK: the best audio player, bar none. It even looks up lyrics...!
Kontact: good layout, fully featured.
KDE: pretty big sweeping vote here. My only suggestions would be dump arts
(may be happening?) and replace noatun with Kaffeine. Other than that, it's
just great. Good integration, very configurable, well supported.
SSH: can't say enough, from remote admin to tunneling nearly anything
securely.
Firefox: I just like it, themable, lots of plugins, popup blocker, tabbed
browsing.
KWrite: Context highlighting, easy to use, configurable.

Nick