[clug-talk] Nautilus is fubar!

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed May 3 11:37:44 PDT 2006


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

You can convert Ubuntu to Kubuntu as they use the same base packages.

Of course starting over without Gnome is not a bad idea either.

Mitchell Brown wrote:
> *sigh* This is why I hate Ubuntu :@ Stupid Gnome!!!
> If anyone tonight has a copy of the Kubuntu ISO could you bring it and we
> can copy it to my laptop?
> 
> On 5/3/06, Gustin Johnson <gustin at echostar.ca> wrote:
>>
> I cannot speak to the why of the Gnome project ( I have no idea why
> their interface is the way it is, it does not make sense to me), but my
> guess is that it is supposed to make it easier to put icons, perl and
> cgi scripts if all you do is remember the document root, as opposed to
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ for cgi-bin
> 
> It is not making stuff up, it is getting the info and displaying a
> virtual folder, the idea is to make things "easier" and "intuitive",
> things which I do not believe Gnome does well, though that is a hot
> topic.  As I said earlier, Gnome is odd.
> 
> If you need a graphical manager, there are better ones (konqueror comes
> to mind), but for web and server stuff, I pretty much stick to the
> command line.
> 
> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>> So if they shouldn't be visible at all, why the hell is it just making
> up
>> something entirely different? Like, where does it pull that from?!
> 
>> On 5/3/06, Gustin Johnson <gustin at echostar.ca> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
>> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>>> Okay, when I goto my commandline, and type "ls" in "/var/www" I get
> 
>>> mbrown at BROWN1:/var/www$ ls
>>> apache2-default  phpmyadmin
> 
>>> Now, when I go into my "File Browser" in Ubuntu, goto "/var/www" I
>> get a
>>> *completely* different structure! Yet, the files are there (I can copy
>> them
>>> in and out of that folder!!!!)
> 
>>> Here's what I see in file browser:
> 
>>> cgi-bin
>>> error
>>> html
>>> icons
>>> perl
> 
>>> What the heck is going on?!
> 
> 
>> Two things, nautilus is figuring out the directory structure presented
>> by apache (icons, cgi-bin all live elsewhere, but appear to be under
>> document root).
> 
>> It is also limited by the permissions of your user, so many things in
>> /etc/ will not be visible, nor should they be.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> clug-talk mailing list
> clug-talk at clug.ca
> http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-talk_clug.ca
> Mailing List Guidelines (http://clug.ca/ml_guidelines.php)
> **Please remove these lines when replying
> 
> 
>> --
>> pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
>>    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF
> 9091
>> C422
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> clug-talk mailing list
>> clug-talk at clug.ca
>> http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-talk_clug.ca
>> Mailing List Guidelines (http://clug.ca/ml_guidelines.php)
>> **Please remove these lines when replying
>>
_______________________________________________
clug-talk mailing list
clug-talk at clug.ca
http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-talk_clug.ca
Mailing List Guidelines (http://clug.ca/ml_guidelines.php)
**Please remove these lines when replying
>>

> -- 
> pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
>    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
> C422


> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> _______________________________________________
> clug-talk mailing list
> clug-talk at clug.ca
> http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-talk_clug.ca
> Mailing List Guidelines (http://clug.ca/ml_guidelines.php)
> **Please remove these lines when replying
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFEWPh4wRXgH3rKGfMRApdnAJ9NealIY+SUC4bGLNXCtmz1MqXoRwCdElcr
LwSQ7zK2ZI1wGhllEwkUfF4=
=QDWx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the clug-talk mailing list