[clug-talk] Nautilus is fubar!

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed May 3 11:28:48 PDT 2006

I cannot speak to the why of the Gnome project ( I have no idea why
their interface is the way it is, it does not make sense to me), but my
guess is that it is supposed to make it easier to put icons, perl and
cgi scripts if all you do is remember the document root, as opposed to
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ for cgi-bin

It is not making stuff up, it is getting the info and displaying a
virtual folder, the idea is to make things "easier" and "intuitive",
things which I do not believe Gnome does well, though that is a hot
topic.  As I said earlier, Gnome is odd.

If you need a graphical manager, there are better ones (konqueror comes
to mind), but for web and server stuff, I pretty much stick to the
command line.

Mitchell Brown wrote:
> So if they shouldn't be visible at all, why the hell is it just making up
> something entirely different? Like, where does it pull that from?!
>
> On 5/3/06, Gustin Johnson <gustin at echostar.ca> wrote:
>>

> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>> Okay, when I goto my commandline, and type "ls" in "/var/www" I get
>
>> mbrown at BROWN1:/var/www$ ls
>> apache2-default  phpmyadmin
>
>> Now, when I go into my "File Browser" in Ubuntu, goto "/var/www" I
> get a
>> *completely* different structure! Yet, the files are there (I can copy
> them
>> in and out of that folder!!!!)
>
>> Here's what I see in file browser:
>
>> cgi-bin
>> error
>> html
>> icons
>> perl
>
>> What the heck is going on?!
>

> Two things, nautilus is figuring out the directory structure presented
> by apache (icons, cgi-bin all live elsewhere, but appear to be under
> document root).
>
> It is also limited by the permissions of your user, so many things in
> /etc/ will not be visible, nor should they be.

**Please remove these lines when replying