[clug-talk] Restricted posting to Events List.

simon simon at mungewell.org
Tue May 2 13:59:35 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:27:17PM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 11:42, simon wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Having just replied to Hendrick I notice that anyone can post to the
> > events list.....
> >
> > Shouldn't this be a restricted list, especially if we're hoping to sign
> > up lots of people at the LinuxFest?
>
> I've never noticed this before.  You must sign up on the list to be able to
> post to it.  However, anyone can sign up on the list.  (goes to that
> community thing and transparency.. <grins>)
>
> I have noticed myself that if I post a reply to the author and don't change
> the subject line - then their reply comes into my list folder due to my
> filtering rules (i.e. anything that has "[clug-events]" at the start of the
> subject goes into the events folder... )  This makes it appear the message
> went to all when it hasn't.

Well that's just a problem with your filtering system :-)

> If you aren't seeing something like this, then I would suggest an email to
> Dave with the details so he could look into it.

What I was think that was wrong that if any list member can post then
the 'events' list can turning into a discussion place - which is
probably not what we want....

Ideally I think that posting to events list should be limited to the exec.

Or at the very least the return address should be set to 'clug-talk' so that
conversations are redirected there.

The advantage is that we can make the 'events' very low bandwidth and topical
to it's purpose - that way subscribers who aren't totally into Linux may be
more likely to stay subscribed.

Simon.