[clug-talk] Spam Filtering - Challenge/Response or not.....

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue Mar 28 20:32:19 PST 2006

How are you retrieving your mail?  Directly via the mail client?  With Linux
you could add an intermediate step and have it do some filtering for you.
You could use fetchmail or procmail (I think)to retrieve the mail to a local
system, and then use the hooks to pass the mail through spamassassin and/or
antivirus.  Then, use your mail client to connect to the local store for mail
retrieval.

Of course, this requires some research of a few different tools, and a
scheduled task to initiate the process...  But it might be worth it - I've
heard of people getting awesome results this way wrt spam and viruses.  Then
again, it might be more hassle than it's worth - a judgement call on your
part though.

Best of luck.

Shawn