[clug-talk] Need a GNU SQL CLI tool for Win32 with ODBC support.

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed Mar 1 17:00:35 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 16:46, Roy Souther wrote:
> I just installed PHP 5.1.2 for Windows and it is 19.8MB. The script is
> very easy and I do love doing PHP development.
>
> What version or download of PHP do you recommend for a < 10MB install? I
> know PHP for Linux is very small thanks in part to shared objects but
> that is not the case in Windows.
>
> It comes down to 20MB is just to big for what I am going to be needing.
> If you know of a smaller version I would like to try it.

Two things:

1) the 20MB you are quoting is the size of the installed files - not the size
of the running executable.  It would link libraries as needed.  I know in
Linux one could compile only the options you need (i.e. do the ./configure
for the PHP source), but I've never heard of doing something similar on
windows - but if it's possible, this is one way to minimize the install size
and/or executable size.  If that 20 Meg has files you'll never use - like
maybe curl support (though that's a decent one to have around), then just
remove the files.

2) If you are on a windows system already, and you are trying to connect to MS
SQL server (I'm guessing cuz of the need for ODBC), why not just use the isql
that gets installed with SQL Server?  Or maybe install the MSDE version of
SQL Server - I think that has isql...

But, you are right - I've never heard of a CLI tool for talking to an ODBC
database - all the tools I know of are GUI based.  I have heard of CLI tools
for talking to a native database (i.e. isql), but not something generic.  You
might try seeing if you can access a DSN from a tool like this though...
(something in the lines of DSN.database.table - like the database.owner.table
format for SQL Server).

Don't know if this helps, but here's hoping...