[clug-talk] vncserver

Roy Souther roy at silicontao.com
Wed Apr 26 08:28:51 PDT 2006

On my system vncserver is a Perl script that invokes Xtightvnc the real
server. The author of this script did not allow for the ability to use
the rfbauth command to set the password file. Use vncpassword to create
a default password file ~/.vnc/passwd from there you can scp the file to
the system running the vncviewer and call it what every you want.

If the server is running on 192.168.2.34 and you call the password file
myvncpasswdfile you would do this
vncviewer 192.168.2.34:1 -passwd myvncpasswdfile

If you don't trust your network or you want to use VNC securely over the
Internet use an SSH tunnel to connect to the VNC server like so. You
should only use SSH with PKI.

Assuming you already have your PKI setup to grant you access to your
account on the server.
1) SSH into the server
2) Start a new vncserver session
3) Find the VNC port it is serving (ps U <your user name> | grep vnc)
4) Logout of the server
5) Create an SSH port forward to the VNC port on the remote system
    Example: ssh user at myserver -CL 5900:127.0.0.1:5901
6) Run the VNC client locally. vncviewer :0
7) Enter your VNC password on the server

SSH will tunnel the VNC port 5900 on your local computer to the 5901 on
the remote system.