[clug-talk] Call for presenters - May 3rd, 2006

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Apr 24 09:59:27 PDT 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 10:51, Tek Budda wrote:
> I would be in to this topic.  I have talked with my technical lead at
> work & long term we will need to replace some stuff, including the cheap
> routers we have.  One of the things I suggested was a linux firewall in
> a spare box that could handle firewalling, proxying, wireless, intrusion
> detection, connection faillover, etc.  If I am not mistaken I believe
> IPCop does all of that stuff and more.  Anyone want to elighten further?
>   Perhaps we could cover of some of the things I mentioned above if they
> appeal to others.
>
> I would like to see how a home IPCop install differs from a more
> enterprise install.

The topics you mentioned would be covered as part of using the web management
interface and the installation routine.

Surprisingly, a home install doesn't have to be all that much different from a
corporate install.  The biggest change would be the network architecutre and
some of the security layers introduced (which would mostly be outside the
firewall).