[clug-talk] error message on DVD selection

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed Apr 19 11:04:02 PDT 2006

aptitude search libdvdread3

If the command returns a line starting with p, like this:
p   libdvdread3      - Simple foundation for reading DVDs

The p stands for purge, which means it is not installed.  If there is an
"i" instead of the p, that means that this package is installed.

The permissions error indicates that this is not the problem.  If you
want to change permissions on the device, as root or with sudo, you can
use chmod a+rx /dev/hdc

Of course hdc should match the actual device name of your dvd drive.

Can you try a different dvd, or even a different program?  Is xine or
gxine installed?

Also you can get a permission denied if the program is pointed to the
wrong device.  So on one of my machines with 2 drives (a burner and a
regular dvd) if the dvd program points to /dev/dvd which is a symlink to
/dev/hdc, and I put the dvd into the drive that is /dev/hdd, I may get a
similar error.

I don't like kaffeine, I use xine for my dvd playing goodness.  But that
is me.

Hope this helps.