[clug-talk] Fedora 5

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Tue Apr 18 11:25:24 PDT 2006

I took a look at those screen shots, and don't see much  there other than some
different pretty graphics.  But that's an improper impression - the look and
feel is only half the battle.  It sounds like they've made some strides in
making things more useful and user friendly though.

For me, Fedora won't be an option for 2 main reasons.

First, they continue to use Gnome by default.  Yes, I *could* put in KDE, but
I found in the past they had too many things geared to the gnome desktop that
finding them under KDE was a pain and they had to load all the gnome
libraries anyways.  (can you tell I don't like Gnome much? lol ).

Second, I don't like the way Fedora, or Suse for that matter, manage the
config files.  This is a highly subjective point though.  Gentoo is the
distro that 'clicked' for me, so I prefer distros that have a similar concept
in terms of the config files (i.e. don't add unnecessary control layers that
overwrite the config files on a whim).  When I make a change to the config
files, I don't want to have to search for a distro specific way to safely add
an entry to my hosts file (or whatever config file I'm dealing with), that is
not going to get overwritten the next time I reboot or use the GUI config
tool.

But that's my own personal view.  I'll likely try out Fedora 5 at some point,
just because I know I'll have to do some support on it... :)

Shawn