[clug-talk] Linuxfest topic ideas... I'm coming up short.

Mark Carlson carlsonmark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 18:55:16 PDT 2006

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I was volunteered by my gf to present at LinuxFest.
That part is not a big deal, I don't mind presenting things in
general, however I am having difficulties picking something to talk
about.

I'm currently scheduled for the "Desktop Linux" track, but it is
becoming more and more apparent that I don't really use desktop Linux
(actually, I've also been realizing that I don't care about desktop
anything at all.)  The things I use computers for are as follows:
- Embedded development (Linux target and host)
- Viewing and serving webpages
- (web) Email and IM
- Listening to streaming music
- Playing DVDs
- Reading Usenet
- Number crunching (OO.o Calc, Matlab, etc.)

As far as I can tell, I can't really make a presentation out of that.
To compound the problem, my only real interests in computers are
microprocessor architecture and operating systems (in general) and my
knowledge in both topics could barely be described as novice.

The only topics I've been able to come up with so far are:
- Using a Wiki for your house / family (not exactly Linux, but they
sure are handy!)
- Doing something or other with Knoppix (or has this been done to
death already?)
 - Demonstration of exploits and how having your computer set up
properly (i.e. standard Windows setup vs. standard <insert distro
here> setup) can minimize damage. (I don't know that I'd be able to do
this, but it would be interesting to see)

Since there's only three weeks left until LinuxFest I may not have
enough time to learn many new software packages... so I probably won't
be able to do any comparisons.

If anyone can help me out with some ideas, please post them to the
list; I'd appreciate seeing what other people do on their computer
and/or what they'd like to see a presentation on.

Thanks,

-Mark