[clug-talk] antivirus for samba server

Trevor Lauder lists at thelauders.net
Fri Sep 30 20:57:13 PDT 2005

ClamWin does not have real-time scanning which makes it unpractical for the
corporate desktop.  Scheduled scanning is great and all but without real-time
protection you leave yourself open to a lot of trouble.

I have used ClamWin to detect viruses that other AV software doesn't pick up
so that I know where to start when I am cleaning it off and the E-Mail
scanning for Outlook is nice too but without the real-time scanning it's no
where near as useful as a protection mechanism compared to the commercial
options available for windows.  ClamAV is quite useful when tied into Samba
or a mail server though and picks up many viruses that McAfee (or Symantec -
Does Symantec pick up any viruses? :P) does not.

Cheers,

Trevor