[clug-talk] antivirus for samba server

Tek Budda TekBudda at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 30 10:25:56 PDT 2005

Travis Rousseau wrote:
> clam http://www.clamav.net/
> On 9/30/05, bogi <khangyi at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Any good suggestions for opensource virus detectors that would work with a
>>samba server and scan files ?
>>
>>Only OSS/GPL stuff :-)

Further to Travis's suggestion as well.  There is a ClamAV client for
windows called clamwin (clamwin.com).  There is also one for Mac OS X.
Not sure of the name but I believe they include it in the latest OS X
version (Tiger).  I test drove the windows variant at work (before I got
canned) for deployment of a desktop antivirus solution to comliment the
Symantec stuff on the server.  It worked excellent in my opinion with
less bloat than Norton, scheduled updates, scans and a quarentine
feature.  You could also specify the directory where updates could be
downloaded so you could have one main system and the clients pull from it.

If I ever get in a place that will allow it I would DEFINATELY deploy
this solution.

Cameron