[clug-talk] Adding C/C++ libs from source

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 29 21:18:56 PDT 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 21:48, Kevin Sauter wrote:
> Ok as I mentioned before, I'm trying to make use of a lib I found online.
> http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/  Now  if I understand correctly, I need to
> compile this lib and add it to ld.so.cache

well, it will likely install into /usr/lib or at worst /usr/local/lib; if the
latter you'll want to add it to ld.so.cache perhaps but you can usually just
run ldconfig /path/to/lib/dir and be done with it.

> But there is no makefile.  Back
> to feeling dumb.

i just downloaded:

	http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/Sockets-1.9.8.tar.gz

and there is indeed a Makefile. what did you download exactly?

if you are looking for a cross-platform, GPL'd library that offers networking,
i would highly recommend Qt (http://www.trolltech.com) .. Qt4 is GPL'd on
Linux, UNIX, MacOS X and Windows.

disclaimer: they do pay my bills these days, but i was a Qt fan long before
than as i'm sure many on this list will coroborate ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo