[clug-talk] Remote Desktop Software

Trevor Lauder lists at thelauders.net
Tue Sep 27 15:06:04 PDT 2005

You can either purchase the NX Server from NoMachine or install FreeNX
(http://freenx.berlios.de/).  I use FreeNX with KDE and it gives near local
speed.  You can find out how NX technology works at
http://freenx.berlios.de/info.php

You can testdrive NX using NoMachines services at
http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php

It's the closest thing Linux / Unix has to Remote Desktop / Terminal Services
in the Windows world.  There are other options like LTSP (Linux Terminal
Server Project) which is typically used in a thinclient setup, forwarding raw
X packets as has been mentioned but which suffers from security issues and
isn't efficient over slow links, forwarding X packets over SSH which you
mentioned you don't want to use and also suffers from poor performance over
slow links, and VNC which is more suited for remote control then remote
desktop.

Keep in mind though, NX utilizes SSH for the connection so you will still need
to have SSH installed.  I recommend you try the testdrive I mentioned above
from NoMachine, I think you will be impressed with it.  It's faster then
those other options I listed above, even over dial-up.

Cheers,

Trevor