[clug-talk] Remote Desktop Software

Jim Clarke jclarke at wiredunderground.com
Tue Sep 27 14:39:57 PDT 2005

ssh -x is not an option, would ideally like something fast possibly similar to Remote Administrator for windows however a linux equivalent. Have heard good things about gotomypc with Citrix online however I am not interested in paying 20 bucks USD a month for that service per machine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:11:17 -0600, Adil Kodian wrote
> if you have the money - nothing beats Hummingbird Exceed - ive run 12 users off the same HPUX server through exceed - all working at near-local speed. Im presuming you want to run a windows client that uses a desktop on a Linux server.
>
> If you have a linux/mac client and a linux desktop - then why not just application x forwarding ? If the server and client are on the same network (or both have public IPs) then simply set the environment variable DISPLAY to be the client's IP:0 - the 0 is the desktop number on the client - leave it at 0 if you dont know what that is. The next time you fire up mozilla-firefox& the browser window will popup on your local client.
>

> On 9/27/05, Jim Clarke <jclarke at wiredunderground.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to inquire as to the best "remote desktop software" to utilize
> for the linux world? We are looking for a solution that would be presumably
> faster than VNC and not ssh-x. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

-- WiredUnderground Corporation --
Tomorrows Products Today