[clug-talk] serial console help

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sun Sep 25 22:50:26 PDT 2005

I am running a qemu session with -nographic which means that there is no
graphic output.  Control of the VM occurs across a virtual serial connection
(/dev/ttyS0 to the guest, and either stdio or a pty on the host).  The
problem is when I run vim somefile I get some garbled characters and the
following sprayed across much of the screen:
serial8250: too much work for irq4

I have not had much experience with serial consoles (except as a user of the
UofC's DevlNET, which I kinda miss), so any help would be appreciated.

The output of setserial:
setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

I have also played with various rate (aka speed) settings from 9600 to 115200

I have not pleased the google gods with the correct prayer incantation.
I have also been to:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

The entry I have in /etc/inittab is
S0:123456:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x1 -b -r -s 38400 ttyS0

and in /boot/grub/menu.lst

# Serial console setup
serial --unit=0 --speed=38400

# now setup terminal as both serial line (/dev/ttyS0) and regular monitor
# console (/dev/tty0) depending on where you press a key
terminal --timeout=15 serial console

and the kernel option:
console=ttyS0

Of course when using ssh to connect everything works as expected.

Id should also be noted that regular console use appears to work normally
(copying, moving, running ifconfig, ip route etc).

Thanks in advance.