[clug-talk] GPG Tutorial

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Sun Sep 25 21:04:53 PDT 2005

Hey Jon,

On Sunday 25 September 2005 6:32 pm, Jon wrote:
> I used to have GPG installed on my earlier Fedora box, but haven't gotten
> around to setting it up on my newer Kanotix.

It's a no-brainer, you can copy your $HOME/.gnupg dir from your Fedora box to
your Kanotix box in its entirety.

> I'm not sure if you know, but I host a weekly podcast targetted at new
> GNU/Linux users titled, aptly, The GNU/Linux User Show.

I am cognizant of this fact but haven't had the pleasure of checking it out
yet. I will have to get up to speed. Please tell me that you provide OGG's,
MP3's are fine but considering you are doing a GNU show it should be
available on the Open Source file format.

> I'd love to do a show on GPG. How would you feel about talking me through
> setting GPG up via Skype so I can record the call and use it on a future
> show about GPG?

This sounds very intriguing. Here I am just getting a handle on this stuff and
you want to interview me. I am honoured. I will email you off list to discuss
this further.

> Since we're talking to new users here we don't get too bogged down in the
> weeds about technical stuff. All I'd want to cover off with you is:
>
> 1. What GPG is (a little banter about public key encryption would be cool -
> it's an interest of mine)
> 2. Where to get it/install it
> 3. How to set it up
> 4. How to use it.

I can manage these topics. I'll have to do a little reading but I should be
able to get up to speed on the stuff I am a little unsure of.

> The show is hitting well over 1,000+ per show, so this would be a great
> oppotunity to hit beginner users with the whole digital signing/encryption
> thing right at the get go.

Agreed, and this also becomes an excellent tool to spread the word about GPG.
I agree with Aaron's sentiments in the other thread. It won't get adopted if
people don't start using it. If this gets a few people interested, that is
great. Hopefully those people will take that knowledge and enthusiasm and
spread it further.

> Of course you'd get proper credit, links to wherever you want, I'll pump up
> the CLUG, etc. I'm all about karma!

I would simply be the messenger. The proper credit should go to the tireless
developers who worked on GPG and PGP for that matter. Not to mention the
folks that provide keyservers around the world. Glad to see CLUG plugging
your show as much as it does. I like the fact that we have yet another local
resource like this.

Yes, Jon, I think this will be very cool.
--
Jarrod Major
Registered Linux User: #224211