[clug-talk] GPG Tutorial

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Sun Sep 25 17:51:48 PDT 2005

On September 25, 2005 10:45 pm, Shawn wrote:
> On Sunday 25 September 2005 18:32, Jon wrote:
> > The show is hitting well over 1,000+ per show, so this would be a great
> > oppotunity to hit beginner users with the whole digital
> > signing/encryption thing right at the get go.
<snip>
> For anyone who hasn't had the chance to listen to Jon's show, I'd encourage
> you to do so.  Even more experienced people would likely learn something.
> I know I did when I listened to my first show.  As a developer, it's great
> to hear how new users perceive a product as well, so we can fix things in
> the next release and make the new user experience that much better.

Thanks Shawn. We've been doing the show since July, I think (we've just posted
show number 17 - weekly show...I don't do math) and we've learned a hell of a
lot about...well...everything.

One of the more interesting things we've learned is that a much larger
percentage of our listenership than we thought *aren't* new users. In fact,
they're very seasoned users and developers. If I had to guess I would
estimate that we're hitting 80% genuine new users who are trying to make the
leap and the remainder being people with varying degrees of experience and
interest in the GNU/Linux. More than a few developers echo your sentiments
that it's nice to see how a new user sees things.

It's nice to see a segment that we didn't count on getting some sort of
benefit out of the show.

Thanks!

Jon

--