[clug-talk] Server questions

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed Sep 21 08:10:07 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 18:17, Jesse Kline wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:15 -0600, D Bhardwaj wrote:
> > Is this too big a project with my limited linux know how? All this is for
> > a small venture but could grow.
>
> I don't think so. There is a learning curve, but it is well worth it in
> the end.
>
> > Ok. server needs to do server stuff (file server, database server, web
> > server, print server, security, backup, remotely accessible). Ok. my
> > current abilities (nervously) - I can install mandrake, suse, and others
> > I am sure via default settings. Past the initial install I will probably
> > cry help!! with guidance, I could probably install/configure apache,
> > mysql, postgres, some pop3 email server thing.
> >
> > The constraints - I should be able to manage the install and subsequent
> > maintenance. If this is too much, then I need avoid this path.
> >
> > If your responses are going to cheer me on :) - please advise what
> > flavour distro to use (ease of use for me, configurable, etc)
>
> SuSe has very good gui server configuration tools. In this regard
> RedHat/Fedora sucks. Debian is a little harder to setup and use, but is
> much more stable, and easier to upgrade between versions.

With debian the concept of an upgrade is made irrelevant.  This is also true
of some of its cousins (Xandros and Ubuntu).

A good starting point is whatever distro you are used to using already.

Also this *can* be router as well, but probably *should  not* be a router.

If you need a straightforward iptables script that does NAT (what the Dlink
already does) that can be easily customised as your needs grow, I would check
out gshield (http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield/)