[clug-talk] Server questions

bogi khangyi at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 09:20:50 PDT 2005

Hi Dharam,
I see any one of the distros you mentioned as being familiar would be ok for
what you are looking for.
The exact services you will need to install are

file server :: ftp or nfs or samba ??

database :: Well i guess you mentioned those, Postgres and mysql
		 the best thing would be to settle with one and work with it.

web        :: Apache ... maybe with php and perl :-)

print	      :: You can use samba to share printers as long as you have it
	         installed for file sharing, alternatively you may want to use CUPS

security  :: This term is too broad, i will suggest, if you are thinking of
firewall an alike, to use a separate box for that, it is a lot safer.

backup  :: You will find backup tools in every modern distro, tar is likely
your best friend.

remotely accessible:: Did you mean ssh, there is also vnc.

Cheers
Szemir

Ps.: Yes, it would have been a good idea to come to the installfest :-)