[clug-talk] IPCop and VPN

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Sep 19 21:24:33 PDT 2005

Has anyone been successful in getting IPCop to act as a VPN server, and
thereby an interface to the internal network? (for authorized users of
course)

This is one topic that just hasn't been clicking for me.  The resources I find
online are old (for IPCop 1.2, or 1.3), or assume familiarity with other VPN
systems.

I'm probably making this much harder than it really is, but feel I need a
little hand holding to get this in place properly the first time.  At that
point I suspect everything will click for me, and will be able to recreate
it, or expand on it.

To be honest, I can feel a mental barrier anytime I do anything that needs to
deal with more complex authentication mechanisms (more complex than just
plain shell accounts that is), and security certificates.  It just seems that
there's some underlying concept or fact I haven't grasped yet...  But, I'll
keep at it until these areas do click for me.  I know enough to be productive
regardless of this...

So, the bottom line is I'm looking for any good online documents, or tips on
how to get an IPCop 1.4 box configured to be a gateway into my network.  The
boxes involved are mixed - some are windows and some are Linux,  both
internally, and externally.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.