[clug-talk] [OT] USB 2.x I/O card

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Thu Sep 15 19:34:05 PDT 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 7:58 pm, Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 2:18 pm, Jarrod Major wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 September 2005 4:45 pm, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> > > Why not wire a cable into a pin block?  No messing with a board and
> > > voiding of warranty not required.
>
> I read that wrong the first time. Good idea.

Success!!

This is in fact what I ended up doing. I ended up sacrificing an extra USB AB
cable I had. I have no idea whether is is rated for USB 2.0 or not (is there
such a thing?) I rigorously went over the pin-out and fortunately the wiring
inside the cable was all colour-coded correctly. I have a cable tester that I
used also to ensure I was all hooked up correctly.

I picked up a dead SCSI card from rider to remove a 4-pin block to use as my
soldering point for the newly cut cable. Upon hooking the jury-rig together I
realized as I was going through the wiring for the front panel connectors
that they share the same ground (not wholly unexpected) and the same +5V.
They are wired separately but end up joining up on the circuit board that the
USB Type A surface mount connectors are attached to. It struck me as
potentially dangerous to have the motherboard hooked up to this panel for one
USB port and have the other hooked into the new USB 2.0 I/O card. I am fairly
certain the voltages are the same but I know enough about electronic circuits
that made me err on the side of caution.

So I have a new USB 2.0 port out the front panel as I had hoped for. I've run
some speed tests and it is definitely faster than the 1.0 it used to be. I
even compared this to having the same device moving the same files hooked
into the card's back ports and didn't see any real difference in speed. So I
am confident that everything is as it should be.

I ended up sacrificing one port out the front (and a USB cable) but I rarely
use that other port anyway.

I wonder if I'll see a difference in my USB headset now? I will have to try my
USB keydrive and try moving some files back and forth from it.
--
Jarrod Major
Registered Linux User: #224211