[clug-talk] [OT] USB 2.x I/O card

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed Sep 14 15:44:31 PDT 2005

Maybe you're looking at a simple problem in a complex way?

Maybe try pulling of the front panel of your computer and see how the USB 
ports are connected.  Is it just a type A connector to a socket?  If so, then 
a type A to type A cable would be all you need....

Failing that, the USB Hub solution is probably much more feasible, than 
messing with hardware.  So you have two USB 1.0 connectors on the front 
panel, and X number of USB 2.0 connectors on the hub.  USB Hubs can be found 
for less than $20 these days... even USB 2.0 hubs....  (check with VFX)

My thoughts... 


On Wednesday 14 September 2005 16:39, Jarrod Major wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 3:51 pm, Jarrod Major wrote:
> > I tried calling them about this... they don't carry such a thing. The
> > problem is that the card has a USB type A connector... on the inside as
> > well as the ones on the outside. My case front panel USB jacks actually
> > plug into the motherboard (not with a Type A USB connector).
> I'm being stupid about this... I could probably pick up a typical pin block
> from somewhere like active and remove the Type A USB connector from the
> circuit board and put this block in its place.
> Somehow the whole idea of messing with a manufactured board seems wrong...
> there was a time. And naturally it would void any kind of warranty for the
> card.
> Don't you love those square peg in round hole problems?

More information about the clug-talk mailing list