[clug-talk] Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Wed Sep 14 14:45:25 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 12:35 pm, Shawn wrote:
> The chroot trick is pretty generic for Linux, though getting to a point
> where you can do it might be distro specific.  (i.e. what command you give
> the boot loader...).  I've had to do this a few times using a liveCD (any
> liveCD will do, then mount the drive and do whatever was needed.  As near
> as I know this applies to all distros.
>
> SO, this "How-To" CAN be made to be generic, yet make mention of some
> distro specifics.  What do you think?
>
> Dave has struck onto a good idea for the site - a Tips And Tricks section
> (or something similar).  Maybe do this a a new forum category, and make it
> searchable?  Then anyone can submit their tips.  Just a thought.

This is one of those things that a wiki would be good for. Not that I want us
to go back to a wiki. I think for things of this nature, accuracy is best so
it would be nice that if we are going to do this thing that the entry should
be as accurate and complete as we can make it. I like the idea of a general
solution (tested) and distro-specific solutions (also tested) so there is no
guesswork.

See in my case, the online info I found had most of what I needed but Aaron's
tip of chroot'ing was the key.

I don't feel confident in making an entry unless there is some caveat that any
inconsistencies or errors should be reported and hopefully fixed.

My opinion is that this should be a dedicated section of the site instead of a
forum topic. One of the problems with Forums is that things get buried, so
you would HAVE to have a search component.

I really like the idea though.

My thoughts...
--
Jarrod Major