[clug-talk] Persistant Samba Mounts

Shane shane at randomwords.ca
Wed Sep 14 14:13:27 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Has anyone else had trouble creating Samba mounts on Fedora 3 that remain
persistent?

I have an fstab line like so:

//servername/share /mnt smbfs credentials=/path/to/creds,gid=wheel 0 0

It mounts fine at boot and works read/write for 'wheel' group members.

However...

I have a cron job instigated by root's crontab (so it should have root's
privileges) to back up some files in the middle of the night and I get
errors from cron like:

"'/mnt' directory doesn't exist"

It seems like the Samba connnection works for awhile but then dies (sorta)

Both 'mount' command on both machines claim that the connection is made, but
viewing/readin/writing doesn't work. The connection goes stale.

Anyone have this trouble before?

Shane