[clug-talk] Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Wed Sep 14 11:35:40 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 08:38, Jarrod Major wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 4:59 am, Dave Bourassa wrote:
> > Jarrod, how would you like to do noobs like me a favour, and write this
> > up as a How-to in great detail, explaining what everything does.  If it
> > could then be posted to our clug.ca somewhere, then it would be
> > available to all noobs whenever, and whereever they happened to be.
>
> Can do... however, this is pretty distro specific. I know a good number of
> our users favour SuSE as their distro of choice (for now) so it would
> probably be worthwhile. I'll try and get something up there soon.

The chroot trick is pretty generic for Linux, though getting to a point where
you can do it might be distro specific.  (i.e. what command you give the boot
loader...).  I've had to do this a few times using a liveCD (any liveCD will
do, then mount the drive and do whatever was needed.  As near as I know this
applies to all distros.

SO, this "How-To" CAN be made to be generic, yet make mention of some distro
specifics.  What do you think?

Dave has struck onto a good idea for the site - a Tips And Tricks section (or
something similar).  Maybe do this a a new forum category, and make it
searchable?  Then anyone can submit their tips.  Just a thought.