[clug-talk] problem with login between phpBB and .htaccess secured directory

Darcy Brodie darcy at canasc.ca
Wed Sep 14 00:01:32 PDT 2005

    I am trying to use the username and passwords from  SubDreamer CMS /
phpBB Bulletin Board (usernames and passwords are stored in MySQL) to
allow a registered user access to a protected directory on the same web
site (a members area).  I would enclose the documents into the CMS,
which would make it easy to only allow registered users, however, most
of the documents that I have in there are pdf's.

    I have successsfully been able to connect the .htaccess
authentication to the MySQL database (using mod_auth_mysql), however,
this is where I am having the problems.  Currently, when a user logs
into the CMS / Bulletin Board, it allows him extra pages on the web
site.  But if he wants to goto the members page for these pdf files, he
has to log in again.  I am looking to create a single login that would
allow him to (a) log into the CMS / Bulletin Board, and (b) this would
allow him access to the members area without having to re-submit his
username / password.  As a safety, I would want it so that if someone
attempts to directly access a file in the members area, that it would
ask for a valid username and password (here, I am not concerned if it
logs him into the CMS system or not)

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Darcy