[clug-talk] Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Tue Sep 13 18:50:03 PDT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 11:43 am, Mel Walters wrote:
> I remember doing this and got my root password reset. I am not very sure
> of what you meant by clear out the root password.
> If you left the line en-tact, taking away password info so you have
> (in /etc/shadow  root:::::::: left, this is how I remember doing it.
> Make sure you change the password immediately.
> I know you did it this way, but someone new to Linux may take the words
> effectively clear the root password as removing the line. This would not
> work. Then you could go back to the copy (backup) file you made.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about this. the directions I read said to edit the
content between the first pair of colons. Elsewhere I was directed to delete
everything in 'shadow' leaving root::::

I am paranoid about any changes to important files and I made copies of
both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow before I edited them. This is a pretty
common practice for me. I like having something to fall back on.

Thanks for calling me on that Mel, I would hate to mislead someone in worse
shape than myself and cause them to really break their system.
--
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E