[clug-talk] Re: Need Help Installing Linux

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sun Sep 11 04:33:13 PDT 2005

Quoting Michael Lauzon <mlauzon at gmail.com>:

> Last time I tried any of the distros with a text-based installer the
> CDs went flying out the window because I got stuck in a loop doing
> everything over and over again and not getting anywhere.  Yes, I know
> Gentoo has a text-based installer...and I have to work the day of the
> Installfest; of course this is all providing I do get the laptop.

I prefer text based installers.  Last time I tried a gui installer it locked
hard on my intel 815 laptop.  The latest round of text installers are just as
good as the gui IMO, you just can't use a mouse.

For an easy install Kubuntu/Ubuntu are good.  Slackware is easy to
start, but to
keep it current and running can be a chore (yes, even with swaret and
slapt-get). Xandros and Linspire are likely the easiest.  OF course you
can try
a couple at the installfest, I will likely have an Ubuntu/Kubuntu machine as
well as a test box to get a couple of distros going (planning on trying
symphony, DeMudi, and linspire).

Cheers,