[clug-talk] Help: Spam FIltering With Inflex

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sun Sep 11 04:10:51 PDT 2005

Quoting Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com>:

> Yep, RBL's help with spam via email.  However, the original post was looking
> for tips on filtering web access.  The other suggestions regarding squid and
> dans guardian, as well as IPCop with the addons are well on track...

Duly ignored :)

> Filtering mail seems to be a hit and miss thing.  I do use RBLs, and
> spamassassin/antivirus, but I'm still getting a fair bit of spam, that isn't
> tagged as such.  When I check the logs, I can see that the RBLs are being
> used and blocking some traffic, and some spam does get tagged... but it's
> going to be an on-going battle... maybe we should plan a workshop on spam
> filtering?  I know I don't have the level of knowledge needed to "drive" a
> workshop, but I would most definetly want to attend....

I just have a hate on for spam assasin since most of the time people use it to
drop matching mail instead of generating a proper bounce.

The best spam workshop is enduser protection, ie. how not to get on a spammers
list.  Though I am willing to help out, I don't think I could drive a
whole day
of this.  Plus solutions vary depending on the MTA used (I have only
really used
exim for the past 6 years).

This message was sent using Echostar Secure Webmail