[clug-talk] Re: Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Cirez Communications, inc. jacirez at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:58:45 PDT 2005

Quick and dirty:
Step(s):
1) put emergency floppy/cd on floppy/cd tray & reboot

select terminal login. This brings you the setup terminal & long as root

mount the / patition
mount /dev/hd[a-z][0-9] /mnt/somewhere

cd /mnt/somewhere/etc
vi shadow
remove root passwd(leave empty) wq (save and exit)
do the same with shadow-
cd /
umount /mnt/somewhere
remove floppy/cd
reboot
login as root (i.e [login]#root +[ENTER])
change password to whatever you want...viola

Slackware 10.1 intallation CD supports ReiserFS
Even if you use another distro; it's a good idea to have an 'old
school' cd somewhere just in case...

-------------------Cirez Communications, inc.----------------