[clug-talk] Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 10 13:27:27 PDT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 01:17, Eric Mei wrote:
> Jarrod Major wrote:
> >I have the original install media so I did a Google search and the
> >easiest ? way
> >appears to fire in Disc 1 and select Rescue system from the boot menu. They
> >talk about editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files. I have done this
> >and when I reboot, I still can't get in as root. Effectively, they suggest

did you edit the correct /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow? the easiest way to do
this is to boot using the rescue system disc, and as root (the default for
rescue:)

mount $ROOT_FS_DEVICE /mnt
cd /mnt
chroot .
passwd
exit

$ROOT_FS_DEVICE will be /dev/hda1 or whatever partition the real / is on. once
you're chroot'd into that fs, you're still root but all commands will happen
using that filesystem (and binaries).

hand editting /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow is unecessary and not the safest
thing to do.

> Does your boot loader (grub/lilo) has passwd protection too? if no, the
> easiest way is booting into single mode and reset root password. That is
> adding a option "single" on the boot prompt of grub/lilo, then boot will
> bring you in a single mode shell with root permission. simply run
> "passwd" to change it.

suse actually password protects single mode as well... you need to pass
init=/bin/bash to the kernel to get it to drop you into a non-password
protected shell at boot.

--
Aaron J. Seigo