[clug-talk] Reset root password SuSE 9.2

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Sat Sep 10 12:36:56 PDT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 7:40 am, Curtis Rempel wrote:
> > Does your boot loader (grub/lilo) has passwd protection too? if no, the
> > easiest way is booting into single mode and reset root password. That is
> > adding a option "single" on the boot prompt of grub/lilo, then boot will
> > bring you in a single mode shell with root permission. simply run
> > "passwd" to change it.

No I didn't put any password protection in GRUB. I neglected to mention that I
tried dropping into single user mode already. I used both ' single' and '
single init=/bin/bash' appended to the default boot entry separately to no
avail.

> passing 'single' to GRUB takes you to an sulogin prompt on SuSE, which
> brings you back to the original problem.
>
> With other distros, booting single will let you fix things up nicely, but
> not SuSE.   Instead, you need to get off the bus sooner than 'single', so
> just set up a shell by passing 'init=/bin/bash' to GRUB instead.  You'll
> end up at a root prompt where you can reset the password:
>
> # passwd
> # sync
> # mount -o ro,remount /
>
> kill the power and boot up normally.

The problem with this (for me) is that after I issue the command 'passwd' and
enter my new password twice, I get a message that says "Cannot lock password
file: already locked" followed by "Error: Password NOT changed" and then
"passwd: Authentication token lock busy"

This was then when I moved on to tomsrtbt and the first disc of the SuSE
install media.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
--
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E