[clug-talk] RE: Internet Filtering

Mike Bougie mike.bougie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:57:43 PDT 2005

I'm leaning more towards the dansguardian side as I already have a
DLink router with hardware firewall built into it and see no reason to
change that.

Furthermore, what I'm requiring isn't a firewall, but a
"Dont'GoThereWall" so to speak. I need something that will identify a
targeted site as unsuitable for a family and block access. Also, it'd
be swell if a log was created and e-mail to a user's account. :P

Am I right in thinking that dansguardian is what I'm looking for?

~Mike

On 9/9/05, Jarrod Major <jmajor at nucleus.com> wrote:
> On Friday 09 September 2005 11:39 am, Greg King wrote:
> > identity port open). The power bill alone for a PC based firewall left
> > running 24x7 for a reasonable amount of time is probably greater than the
> > purchase price of this device, which operates with very low power
> > requirements.
> >
> > It's not as interesting to setup/ tweak, but it is very cheap to own and
> > operate.
>
> I'm not going to disagree with you, a hardware firewall/router is a good cheap
> way of protecting yourself.
>
> It would be nice to see one of the smaller form factor devices put to
> something like this task. Such a computer would have much less power
> requirements than a full-blown computer system. As Dave mentioned you can run
> headless so this would cut down on some power consumption. My system is a
> P266 with like a 1 or 2 Gb hard drive, you don't need much more than 40Mb for
> the install and the rest is for logs. It's an older pwer supply so I imagine
> it's something in the neighbourhood of 250W instead of the >400W ps's out
> now. I use a KVM for my IPCop box and my server and I usually have the
> monitor turned off.
>
> I would dearly love to run this on something like Gumstix or one of those
> custom tiny computers. However, size comes at a price. You can't beat the
> deal your son got, that's awesome! Furthermore, companies like DLink and
> Linksys release firmware updates to their devices from time to time so you
> might see some additional features added down the road.
>
> Shawn's comment is viable, a lot of us have an old system kicking around that
> are quite suitable to the task so the initial outlay of cash is nil. It's the
> cost of power that would become significant over time. Ah, to have all high
> efficiency devices would be a nice thing.
>
> Valid points Greg, thanks for the reminder.
> --
> Jarrod Major
> GPG Fingerprint: 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E

Mike Bougie
http://mikeandrose.blogspot.com
Linux User 394239
697D3 F03C9 455B5 98819 9A83A 10F5C 4A710 34A0A