[clug-talk] RE: Internet Filtering

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Fri Sep 9 11:40:19 PDT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 11:39 am, Greg King wrote:
> identity port open). The power bill alone for a PC based firewall left
> running 24x7 for a reasonable amount of time is probably greater than the
> purchase price of this device, which operates with very low power
> requirements.
>
> It's not as interesting to setup/ tweak, but it is very cheap to own and
> operate.

I'm not going to disagree with you, a hardware firewall/router is a good cheap
way of protecting yourself.

It would be nice to see one of the smaller form factor devices put to
something like this task. Such a computer would have much less power
requirements than a full-blown computer system. As Dave mentioned you can run
headless so this would cut down on some power consumption. My system is a
P266 with like a 1 or 2 Gb hard drive, you don't need much more than 40Mb for
the install and the rest is for logs. It's an older pwer supply so I imagine
it's something in the neighbourhood of 250W instead of the >400W ps's out
now. I use a KVM for my IPCop box and my server and I usually have the
monitor turned off.

I would dearly love to run this on something like Gumstix or one of those
custom tiny computers. However, size comes at a price. You can't beat the
deal your son got, that's awesome! Furthermore, companies like DLink and
Linksys release firmware updates to their devices from time to time so you
might see some additional features added down the road.

Shawn's comment is viable, a lot of us have an old system kicking around that
are quite suitable to the task so the initial outlay of cash is nil. It's the
cost of power that would become significant over time. Ah, to have all high
efficiency devices would be a nice thing.

Valid points Greg, thanks for the reminder.
--
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E