[clug-talk] RE: Internet Filtering

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Sep 9 11:23:09 PDT 2005

These types of firewalls are good for home use.  But the moment you start
hosting servers, and/or adding in content filtering, they begin to become
unsuitable.  Sure you can do some port forwarding, but what if you only want
to forward port 22, for 3 specific IPs, and block everyone else?  The smaller
boxes usually aren't set up to handle this.  They also do not do content
based filtering of any sort.

So, they do have their uses, but are not sufficient for what the original
poster was after (content based filtering).  :)

My IPCop box cost me $0.00.  I'm using an old P166 that was given to me, and
the software was free.. <grins>.  That said, I would love to come across one
of the higher end Cisco IOS routers (hardware router) for dirt cheap -
hardware routing is SO sweet...  But IPCop does everything I need for now,
and then some...

My thoughts...

Shawn