[clug-talk] RE: Internet Filtering

Greg King wgking at cips.ca
Fri Sep 9 10:39:41 PDT 2005

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:50:43 -0600
> From: Jarrod Major <jmajor at nucleus.com>
> Subject: Re: [clug-talk]
> To: CLUG General <clug-talk at clug.ca>
>
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:34 am, Jarrod Major wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:30 am, Mike Bougie wrote:
> > > I can't just have it running when my turn on my machine? or is it too
> > > much of a workload?
> > >
> > > i will let you know re the other machine. i'd rather not have another
> > > rig running if at all possible.
>
> Mike I feel compelled to say that in this day and age, with broadband
> "always
> on" internet connectivity, it is suicidal to not have some protection
> between
> you and the Net. No offense but you should have something. Software
> firewalls
> are fine and good, they have come a long way but having that extra step is
> good idea.
>
> It's a "connect it and forget it" scenario for the most part. You can
> monitor
> logs and keep an eye on things hitting your box so there is power there.
>
> Some other options to keep in mind are ClarkConnect or at the very least
> something like a Dlink router. The Dlink device doesn't allow you to
> configure it much for your present need of content filtering but it is a
> cheap solution. Mind you you can head on down to VFXweb or Computer
> Surplus
> and get an old Pentium or Pentium II to set your IPCop box up on, the
> hardware requirements are minimal. I suspect you could buy a used machine
> for
> considerably less than a Dlink or Linksys device that performs a similar
> function.
>
> Some things for you to ponder.
>
> --
> Jarrod Major
> 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E

There is no question that a software based firewall like IP Cop is powerful,
but it will never be as cheap as a firewall appliance if you shop around.

For example, my son just bought an SMC firewall / router at futureshop for
$4.99 after rebates. The GST on the purchase price put it in around $8.50
total cost. The box is the size of a small paperback novel, and is a 4 port
10/100 switch as well. It has a stateful firewall with some port and url
filtering. He bought it solely to take to X-box gaming parties but I tried
it out as a dhcp server, firewall, and router, and it wasn't bad at all. It
operated in almost complete stealth mode according to "Shields up" (one
identity port open). The power bill alone for a PC based firewall left
running 24x7 for a reasonable amount of time is probably greater than the
purchase price of this device, which operates with very low power
requirements.

It's not as interesting to setup/ tweak, but it is very cheap to own and
operate.

Regards, Greg