[clug-talk] Memory Express no longer a CLUG sponsor

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 9 05:19:45 PDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:51, Darcy Brodie wrote:
> The question that I would like to ask is, just because Memory Express no
> longer is able to provide CLUG members a discount, does that mean that
> the CLUG has to "cancel" their listing as a sponsor?  To me, if CLUG was
> willing to let them remain listed as a sponsor (even without the
> discount that they previously offered), it would continue to show that
> CLUG supports Memory Express, and there may be a better chance of them
> helping out with events etc.

i think some of us have the priorities reversed: the point isn't to have CLUG
supporting certain for-profit businesses, local or otherwise, but the other
way around.

there is no point in listing sponsors, or giving them free tables at events,
or any other perks unless that company/group actually is an active sponsor.
doing otherwise makes it harder to get new sponsors and to get current and
past sponsors to continue their support. it also puts CLUG into the very odd
position of supporting certain private companies over others without any real
reason to show for doing so.

one can pander too much to possible benefactors and end up achieving the
opposite of the intended result. in any case, this is the sort of topic that
is really poorly handled by committee and ought to be left up to the board to
manage (since that's their function).

if anyone has issues or input, i'd suggest sending email directly to the board
list or bringing it up at the monthly meeting. that way this list can remain
a place for technical discussion, which is the intended purpose of it, no? =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo