[clug-talk] Internet Filtering

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Thu Sep 8 11:45:22 PDT 2005

I downloaded the whole season and watched it over Christmas (most of the
episodes aired in the UK last fall).  It was nice to be pleasantly
surprised by
television for change.  I was a fan of the original, but the new series
is even
better IMHO.

To back on topic, dansgaurdian (which also works alongside Squid, I have both
installed at a couple client sites) is best when run on a
firewal/router.  This
means that every computer connected to your network will have this content
filtered, even if someone brings in a laptop or boots your computer with
knoppix.  If the goal is protect children, assume that they will gain complete
control over the local machine (with knoppix the task is trivial as you can
edit /etc/shadow).  Therefore any filtering or protecting done on the
localmachine can be circumvented.

Having said that, dansguardian is packaged as a part of ubuntu, simply apt-get
install dansguardian (or use one of the many gui tools) to install it.

The documentation can be found here:
http://dansguardian.org/?page=documentation
and is pretty straightforward.

--
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however a
large number