[clug-talk] Internet Filtering

Mike Bougie mike.bougie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 09:56:24 PDT 2005

Don't get me wrong, I have a router runnign with a hardware firewall,
I just need something that will block out explicit content.

Dear Gods of Kobol I wouldn't be running without a firewall..

~
Mike
On 9/8/05, Jarrod Major <jmajor at nucleus.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:34 am, Jarrod Major wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:30 am, Mike Bougie wrote:
> > > I can't just have it running when my turn on my machine? or is it too
> > > much of a workload?
> > >
> > > i will let you know re the other machine. i'd rather not have another
> > > rig running if at all possible.
>
> Mike I feel compelled to say that in this day and age, with broadband "always
> on" internet connectivity, it is suicidal to not have some protection between
> you and the Net. No offense but you should have something. Software firewalls
> are fine and good, they have come a long way but having that extra step is a
> good idea.
>
> It's a "connect it and forget it" scenario for the most part. You can monitor
> logs and keep an eye on things hitting your box so there is power there.
>
> Some other options to keep in mind are ClarkConnect or at the very least
> something like a Dlink router. The Dlink device doesn't allow you to
> configure it much for your present need of content filtering but it is a
> cheap solution. Mind you you can head on down to VFXweb or Computer Surplus
> and get an old Pentium or Pentium II to set your IPCop box up on, the
> hardware requirements are minimal. I suspect you could buy a used machine for
> considerably less than a Dlink or Linksys device that performs a similar
> function.
>
> Some things for you to ponder.
>
> --
> Jarrod Major
> 4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E

Mike Bougie
http://mikeandrose.blogspot.com
Linux User 394239
697D3 F03C9 455B5 98819 9A83A 10F5C 4A710 34A0A