[clug-talk] Internet Filtering

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Thu Sep 8 09:50:43 PDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:34 am, Jarrod Major wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:30 am, Mike Bougie wrote:
> > I can't just have it running when my turn on my machine? or is it too
> > much of a workload?
> >
> > i will let you know re the other machine. i'd rather not have another
> > rig running if at all possible.

Mike I feel compelled to say that in this day and age, with broadband "always
on" internet connectivity, it is suicidal to not have some protection between
you and the Net. No offense but you should have something. Software firewalls
are fine and good, they have come a long way but having that extra step is a
good idea.

It's a "connect it and forget it" scenario for the most part. You can monitor
logs and keep an eye on things hitting your box so there is power there.

Some other options to keep in mind are ClarkConnect or at the very least
something like a Dlink router. The Dlink device doesn't allow you to
configure it much for your present need of content filtering but it is a
cheap solution. Mind you you can head on down to VFXweb or Computer Surplus
and get an old Pentium or Pentium II to set your IPCop box up on, the
hardware requirements are minimal. I suspect you could buy a used machine for
considerably less than a Dlink or Linksys device that performs a similar
function.

Some things for you to ponder.

--
Jarrod Major
4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E