[clug-talk] Internet Filtering

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Thu Sep 8 08:53:36 PDT 2005

Mike Bougie wrote:
> Hi folks, I need some advice.
>
> I have a need to set up a firewall so as to block pornographic
> websites at home. I use both Kubuntu and Windows (Ubuntu mainly, but
> Windows still for the TV-out) and would need to implement something so
> as to prevent access to these sites.
>
> Are there any recommendations?

You can use Squid ( http://www.squid-cache.org ) to use freely
available blacklists to prevent users from going to porn sites.
It also allows you to add you own sites and possibly some
filtering based on words. Watch word filters though as they
often block legitimate sites. For instance a popular web nanny
program that was pushed by a US Senator blocked his site because
his name was Dick.

This won't catch all porn sites and ads though. I would also
blocking any warez sites as well as they often are funded by
porn ads.

There might also be some web proxies that you can sign up to use
(free or paid) that provide same services. Then your firewall
just needs to limit all http requests going anywhere but that
proxy server. Which may be as simiple as blocking all requests
going out on port 80. Note this could break things using soap or
other applications that use http for stuff other than web
browsing so you may need a more complicated solution.

--
Mark Lane, CET <mark at harddata.com>
Sales Manager, Hard Data Ltd. <http://www.harddata.com>