[clug-talk] CLUG Test

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Tue Sep 6 11:40:21 PDT 2005

Quoting D Bhardwaj <dbhardwaj at shaw.ca>:

> I wanted to get this to work with native windows 2ks first, maybe
> play with linux version later.
> Right now I have IIS/FTP configured- I think, and also virtual server
> ftp enabled on the router. However, when testing, it keeps coming up
> with 'this document contains no data'...

FTP will only work in passive mode through a NAT firewall.  I am not sure how
well ftp works when the server is NAT'd though, I had problems with this so I
simply switched to sftp.  This was several years ago.  FTP has many
issues with
NAT connections and I suspect this is where the problem is.  Check to
make sure
that your ftp client supports passive mode and that it is enabled.  Other than
that all I can really suggest is to use a different protocal.  SSH is useful
regardless of the OS.

Any windows box that I manage has cygwin installed simply because of the
usefullness of bash, ssh, stunnel, rsync, and now unison, which is an awsome
app btw.

Cheers,

--
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however a
large number

This message was sent using Echostar Secure Webmail