[clug-talk] USB headset and KsCD

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Mon Sep 5 22:06:11 PDT 2005

Hey Gang,

I have noticed some odd behaviour with my USB headset... it doesn't play
everything once I have it plugged in. You're probably saying "No d'uh genius!
How does your system know where to output sound, think about it." Okay, you
got me there. I have Skype installed and I know that it is set to /dev/dsp1
in order to utilize the headset and microphone. I went into Kscd and looked
under "Extras->Configure KsCD" It appears that one should be able to select
the appropriate audio device for playback but in my case (KsCD 1.5; Using KDE
3.4.0 Level "b" SUSE 9.3) that option appears to be grayed out. In a moment
of inspiration I figured, okay the GUI doesn't allow you to muck with this
what about the conf file. So I found /.kde/share/config/kscdrc and this was
in fact the conf file for KsCD. There is a line for audio device which was
empty so being the smart guy that I am I plugged in "/dev/dsp1" after it and
restarted KsCD. No dice, this didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Similarly, Kaffeine will not use my
USB headset either. I only appear to be able to tell Kaffeine/Xine which
audio server to use rather than down to devices. I suspect that this is all
configurable but it's beyond me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I really like my headset. It was purchased specifically for using with Skype
but there are the odd times when it would be handy to be able to listen to a
CD or watch a movie and not disturb others.

I have done a Google search on USB headset and KsCD, sound issues, etc. I
haven't gotten anything helpful so far. Not sure whether I am inputting the
right search string or whether USB headsets are just too new to have any kind
of howtos on. I'll keep digging.
--
Jarrod Major
4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E