[clug-talk] USB headset and KsCD

Jarrod Major jmajor at nucleus.com
Mon Sep 5 22:06:11 PDT 2005

Hey Gang,

I have noticed some odd behaviour with my USB headset... it doesn't play
everything once I have it plugged in. You're probably saying "No d'uh genius!
How does your system know where to output sound, think about it." Okay, you
got me there. I have Skype installed and I know that it is set to /dev/dsp1
in order to utilize the headset and microphone. I went into Kscd and looked
under "Extras->Configure KsCD" It appears that one should be able to select
the appropriate audio device for playback but in my case (KsCD 1.5; Using KDE
3.4.0 Level "b" SUSE 9.3) that option appears to be grayed out. In a moment
of inspiration I figured, okay the GUI doesn't allow you to muck with this
what about the conf file. So I found /.kde/share/config/kscdrc and this was
in fact the conf file for KsCD. There is a line for audio device which was
empty so being the smart guy that I am I plugged in "/dev/dsp1" after it and
restarted KsCD. No dice, this didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Similarly, Kaffeine will not use my
USB headset either. I only appear to be able to tell Kaffeine/Xine which
audio server to use rather than down to devices. I suspect that this is all
configurable but it's beyond me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I really like my headset. It was purchased specifically for using with Skype
but there are the odd times when it would be handy to be able to listen to a
CD or watch a movie and not disturb others.

I have done a Google search on USB headset and KsCD, sound issues, etc. I
haven't gotten anything helpful so far. Not sure whether I am inputting the
right search string or whether USB headsets are just too new to have any kind
of howtos on. I'll keep digging.
Jarrod Major
4556 EFA8 EC69 7C54 EE33  C881 2C7C 0E10 2439 231E