[clug-talk] CLUG Test

D Bhardwaj dbhardwaj at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 5 10:26:46 PDT 2005

I wanted to get this to work with native windows 2ks first, maybe play with linux version later.
Right now I have IIS/FTP configured- I think, and also virtual server ftp enabled on the router. However, when testing, it keeps coming up with 'this document contains no data'...

any help is welcome.

Dharam

--nextPart3804862.iTMDejp3FC

The easiest option I have found is ssh.  With linux it is a no brainer.  Fo=
r=20
windows there is a package called cygwin (www.cygwin.com).  This package is=
 a=20
collection of linux/unix software for windows, including a fully functional=
=20
ssh server.  There are lots of nice gui sftp (one form of file transfer ove=
r=20
ssh) clients for both *Nix and windows.  Behaves similar to ftp but nothing=
=20
is transmitted in the clear.  Other options abound, some of my favorites ar=
e=20
rdp (for windows to windows) and rsync.

The following is a port forwarding for commonly used transfer protocalls

port  service
80  web
20  ftp
21  ftp=20
22  ssh/scp/sftp
443  web-ssl
873  rsync
3389 rdp (remote desktop)

Depending on the router, ftp may or may not work through a router.  This is=
 a=20
really short answer to a moderately complicated issue.

Hope this helps