[clug-talk] BIOS Update on Dell: My Next Trick

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Sun Sep 4 12:31:27 PDT 2005

Wow..how the hell did I miss this when Googling?

I've made some progress here, but I've reached a stumbling block and I really
don't know where to go from here.

I've downloaded the biosdisk app and the I1000A08.EXE file (which is allegedly
my 1000 A08 BIOS update) from Dell support.

I used the biosdisk mkimage -i /home/jon /home/jon/biosdisk-0.65/I1000A08.EXE
command to make the image which resulted in a dosdisk.img file being created
in my home directory.

There is a biosdisk install command but it doesn't work on Debian systems so I
can't use it on my Kanotix. So I manually copied the memdisk and dosdisk.img
file to my /boot directory.

I then modified my /boot/grub/menu.lst file and added:

title BIOS Flash A08
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/dosdisk.img

lines to it.

When I reboot and select this item from teh Grub menu, the system does one of
two things. It either boots into a plan jane FreeDOS prompt and does nothing
further, or it hangs while displaying 'InitDisk'

I can only assume that there's something wrong with the dosdisk.img file, but
I really have no idea how to troubleshoot that.

Can someone point out to me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

Jon