[clug-talk] PARTIAL SUCCESS: Shut off the 'tap' on my touchpad.

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Sun Sep 4 09:53:30 PDT 2005

Thanks for the tip Shawn. This is my first foray into my X config so there's a
lot of stuff in there that I don't understand.

I've managed to get to the point where if I boot with the USB mouse plugged
in, then both the mouse and the touchpad work complete with the annoying
tapping (just as before).

If I boot without the USB mouse plugged in, the the touchpad works without
tapping! Yay!

It's still a little weird because even when there's no USB mouse plugged in
and I am running completely off the touchpad, none of KDE's Touchpad controls
work in the Control Centre but the mouse options do. This means I can control
the acceleration and precision and such, but I have no access to the 'finer'
controls of the touchpad like scrolling and the like. Right now I really
don't care though - as long as the stupid tapping is gone I'm happy.

At the end of the day, the only thing I ended up doing was changing one of the
two lines from my XF86Config-4 file that you quoted below. Now instead of
them both reading CorePointer, they read:

InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
InputDevice    "Synaptics Mouse"  "CorePointer"

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the difference and perhaps
there's more tweaking I can do, but stumbled across the AlwaysCore thing
somewhere in my travels trying to sort this out.

So..pretty happy. I'd like to have full touchpad support, but I can at least
live with this.

Anyone want to comment on other ways I might get full functionality out of
this thing?

Thanks!

Jon