[clug-talk] Xndros

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sun Sep 4 11:53:13 PDT 2005

On Saturday 03 September 2005 12:31, Cirez Communications, inc. wrote:
> This is a bit late...
>
> Anyone has had any experience with Xandros...?
> I have a client looking to switch over 75 boxes from windows XP to
> something cheaper...

I have tested Xandros out.  One nice feature is the ability to authenticate to
an Active Directory *out of the box*.  Hardware detection was good for me,
though I have not tested a wide range of machines.

I will be doing a trial of Xandros in a mixed environment over the next couple
of months, so I would be interested to hear your experiences.

> Keeping in mind that the staff know "nada" about linux, what distro
> would be this transition least painful?
> I looked at the Xandros web site and saw they used to be Corel
> Linux--I was a developer at Stormix Tech (The publishers of Storm
> Linux) and at the time they both were based on Debian...
> One thing I am concerned about it the hardware detection
> capabilities--meaning its ability to recognize paripherials and
> such...That could save me a ton of work...
> Any comments...?

Linspire would be the other commercial distro that I would check out.  I do
not have much experience with it but I have heard good things about it.

Also, I have been quite impressed with Ubuntu/Kubuntu.  I have had the most
success in converting windows users with ubuntu.

Cheers