[clug-talk] Late Birthday Note

Dave Watkins dave at davewatkins.net
Sat Sep 3 15:31:49 PDT 2005

Harvested this one from somewhere:

I guess Linus under estimated the power of "The Source"

Dave Watkins

 From: torvalds at klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
 Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
 Subject: What would  you like to see most in minix?
 Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

 Hello everybody out there using minix -
 I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional
 like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting
 to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS
 resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical
 reasons) among other things). I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and
 things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few
 months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
 are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

    Linus (torvalds at kruuna.helsinki.fi)

    PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
    It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
	will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.